10.08.2008

Baby Shrug: Size 18 months - 25 years

So in Fall of 2007, I made this "shrug" for my daughter...

It is the pattern "Baby Shrug" out of the book Simply Baby by Debbie Bliss. Yeah... Baby Shrug... Whatever...
Something went terribly terribly wrong with this pattern and its Ginormous!
I thought that I messed up with my gauge swatch but after reviewing all of the shrug projects on Ravelry, I realized that I'm not the only one with a huge "Baby Shrug" on their hands. Alot of knitters were surprised that it ran so big. Many compensated for this by making a smaller size or using smaller needles.
I wish I had known this! If only I was on Ravelry before I started this thing! After finishing the shrug, I blocked it and of course it only got bigger. I was pretty disappointed about it so I just put my daughter in the shrug anyways. I rolled up the sleeves 4 times and sewed a silk ribbon to the two fronts to tie the thing on her. She wore it all winter and looked pretty...uh... silly.

As you can see she is swimming in the thing. And last year when she wore it, she was even smaller than she is now! I was just hoping she would grow into it. But alas, another year has past and the shrug is still huge.

"What the heck is up with this sweater, Mom?"



Over time the silk ribbon that I had sewn on it previously had gotten pretty tattered so I set out to repair it. In the process I found out that the shrug looks way more fantastic on me as a cute little bolero style sweater.


Hey problem solved! I removed the tattered ribbon and sewed on this cute vintage button and made a crochet chain loop for a closure. I happened to have a Rowan 4-ply yarn for the loop in a very similar color. That was pretty exciting!


Yea, I know its kind of wierd to be wearing my 2 year old's sweater. But I think it's gone to good use and looks way more appropriate. Maybe Debbie Bliss should just move this pattern into one of her women's design books?
It's kind of fun repurposing this shrug because now I get to enjoy a new handknit without feeling like I put alot of work into it. I made it so long ago now I barely remember the project.

I'll eventually give the shrug back to her when she's bigger and can fit into it... in I dont know... say... 10 or 15 years?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny! Well, you both look adorable in it.

skinner studio said...

Hilarious!

It looks fabulous on you!

Mimosa said...

It's very pretty on you and lovely on your daughter !

Fresh Tea : said...

The shrug looks fab! Love the colour, I want one!

Dawn said...

How funny! You two look so much alike! Beautiful!:) At least you've found another purpose for the shrug...looks cute on you! But now you'll have to find another pattern so you can make Ava one!

Beverly said...

It is so cute on you ...

The opposite thing happened to me ... I made a shrug for my teenage granddaughter ... as I worked on it, it seemed to shrink in size, and by the time it was finished, it fit my 2-year old granddaughter!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

its supposed to be your daughter who raids your wardrobe , not the other way round! it looks great, btw

redsknits said...

Ditto all the good comments and I love the title but perhaps "Babe" Shrug Size 18 months -25 years might be more accurate.

KnittingBlueContent said...

Alana, I just revisited your post and it's gotten me to thinking that Ms. Bliss *may* upsize her knits in order to sell more yarn.

There isn't any way all you guys are remiss on your reviews!

While Miss Eva's knit looks spectacular on you, is that really a bang-up pattern review?

I'm thinking that maybe I should start knitting Ms. Bliss's pre-teen patterns (if she has some, LOL).

Your current patterns are based on real-life kid sizes and that's so much better.

KrisW said...

I love this on you~ and yes, your daughter can have it back in a few years...but for now, enjoy wearing it!!!!!

KatieB said...

This is hysterical.

I made this little shrug in the 6 months size for my second granddaughter a couple of years ago. It was a perfect fit and she was able to wear it for quite a while due to the great design.

For this Christmas I made it in the 18 months size for my third granddaughter who is soon to be 1 year old. OMG, it is enormous!

I just happened to be listening to older episodes of the podcast which I'd never heard and was actually relieved to hear that 1) there MUST be a problem with the sizing of the pattern and 2) that you were able to wear it.

I am sure my daughter in law will end up wearing the one I made for her little girl until Noe can fit into it herself, when she's 10!!

pb said...

this is so funny... at least now it's an actual "shrug/bolero" for someone...
i hope you STILL wear it! :)